Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ecumenical Sunday

I have said it before and I will say it again- I learn something new everyday! Having heard that this coming Sunday is Ecumenical Sunday, I was curious to find out what that meant. Here is what I have discovered:

Each year January 18-25 is observed as the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, and the Sunday during that week is observed in many churches as Ecumenical Sunday.

ec·u·men·i·cal /ˈɛk yʊˈmɛn ɪ kəl - Pronunciation[ek-yoo-men-i-kuh l
–adjective
1. general; universal.
2. pertaining to the whole Christian church.
3. promoting or fostering Christian unity throughout the world.
of or pertaining to a movement (ecumenical movement), esp. among Protestant groups since the 1800s, aimed at achieving universal Christian unity and church union through international interdenominational organizations that cooperate on matters of mutual concern.
4. interreligious or interdenominational: an ecumenical marriage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

I am a mother as well and a church organist and saw the note on the church calendar it is Ecumenical Sunday. The reading didn't give much away, so your page was very helpful.