Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Message of Malachi: Be Ready

Here are my notes on my study of Malachi. I appolagize as they are pretty hard to follow, but now I have them all typed up where I can access them. Let me know if you want clarification on something.
Outline comes from Wilkenson Talk through the Bible
3:1-4
When God says "You are dead." The response is "WHAT?!?!" (Dead religion) Malachi is explaining why there is dead religion. Autopsy to dead religion= when we don't know what happened. The anwser to dead religion is Jesus

I. Insenitivity to grace

A. Defining lova as only what you have done for me lately 1:2
II. Insencere Worship

A. We show honnor to our fathers, bosses ect, but not to God 1:6
III. Instability of families

A. True religion shows up at home 2:10

B. So much divorce unfaithfulness

C. Loose religion and worship
IV. Inaccurate view of God

A. This life at its worst is the best it will be for the ungodly

B. This life at its best is the worst it will be for the Godly
V. Insuficiant giving

A. 3:8-12 Give as God has laid it on your heart (needed car, wreck after wreck)
VI. Inproper reasons for serving

A. Dead religion (loving myself)

B. Want a "thank you" or some personal gain from service (it is all about me)
VII. Inpentance

A. 3:17 Arrogant in how they are living

B. Defensive 3:2

The anwser to dead religion is Jesus

Malachi= my messanger 4 messanger refrences

1:1- Malachi

2:7- Preist

3:1- John the Baptist

Every believer in the new testament = preist ib the old testament

Repersent to God everyday where ever you are

Mathew 11:10

Who he is 3:3

What he does 3:4-6

John prepares the way for the Lord

3:1 See, I will send my messenger [John], who will prepare the way before me [Lord]

2:17 By saying, "All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them" or "Where is the God of justice?" [God of justice-Not neccisarily in this life]

3:1 the messenger of the covenant [angle of the Lord]

Genisis 16 7- 14

7 The angel of the LORD found Hagar near a spring in the desert; it was the spring that is beside the road to Shur. 8 And he said, "Hagar, servant of Sarai, where have you come from, and where are you going?" "I'm running away from my mistress Sarai," she answered.
9 Then the angel of the LORD told her, "Go back to your mistress and submit to her." 10 The angel added, "I will so increase your descendants that they will be too numerous to count."
11 The angel of the LORD also said to her: "You are now with child and you will have a son. You shall name him Ishmael, for the LORD has heard of your misery.
12 He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hand will be against everyone and everyone's hand against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers."
13 She gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her: "You are the God who sees me," for she said, "I have now seen the One who sees me." 14 That is why the well was called Beer Lahai Roi ; it is still there, between Kadesh and Bered.

Genisis 22:9-15

9 When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11 But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!" "Here I am," he replied.
12 "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."
13 Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram [a] caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham called that place The LORD Will Provide. And to this day it is said, "On the mountain of the LORD it will be provided."
15 The angel of the LORD called to Abraham from heaven a second time 16 and said, "I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring [b] all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me."

Exodus 3:2 Keeps his covenant

Numbers 22:22-35 the angle of the Lord is described 10 times

I see this and I care submit to it

The Lord will provide

I fullfil my covanent (all covenants)

Did not fullfill them they way they expected at the time

3:2 Cleansing and purity for his people (1st coming)

3:5 Judgment for those not his (2nd coming) Sorrccers, adulters, white liars, bad bosses, not hospitable to strangers

1 Corinthians but you are washed (Jesus is coming again to refine and give justice)

4:1-6

Biblical viewpoint- Malachi: Start with an autopsy to dead religion, anwser to dead religion, and antithisis of dead religion

The Day of the Lord

Chapter 4 v 1-3 described v 4-6 applied

v1: Distruction of the wicked

v2: Coming of the Lord

v3: Healing of the Godly

2 Peter 3:10 Ezekiel 22:4 Zephaniah 1:9

v4: remember and obey

v5: Believe

v6: Repent

No comments: